WiFi (Rant Alert)

By CaLviNx 9 February 2017 19:37

Member · 37 comments

Hi Guys

I 99% love the Duet WiFi board but....

The WiFi connection can be a royal pain In the ass

With no option to assign a static ip it gets tedious "searching"  for the correct dynamic ip address my router has assigned.

A bit of background.

Where I am having a copper or fiber "land line"  is nigh on impossible,  so for internet I rely on a 4g  connection,  and our carrier has a stipulation of using their service that we must use their equipment as a condition of connection, the 4g router is a cheap p.o.s. that does not display what's connected to it or what ip it has assigned,  so finding the ip using that method is not very helpful. But it does have an inbuilt Ethernet outlet that I feed to my switch,  which I can't connect to via the duetifi!! 

I could reduce the dynamic ip address range,  but missus uses a laptop,  x2 different phones a tablet and then the other users in the house bitch if there is a "lack"  of available ip numbers when the network refuses to connect them,  which results in me getting ear ache..

So I try using the network map in Windows,  now that was fine in windows 7 but now being on Windows 10 there is no real network map to use to id the ip sigh.....

So the merry go round continues and I have to resort to third party network mapping  software. 

All this is no real problem but an utter waste of time when all you want to do is just open up the interface and start using the printer instead of farting around.

Any modifications to allow removal of the WiFi and install an Ethernet jack can't come quick enough.

Rant over

Last edited by CaLviNx (9 February 2017 19:44)

By tomasf 9 February 2017 20:09

Member · 60 comments

Most routers let you bind a fixed IP address to a given MAC address. Perhaps your p.o.s. router can do that? Or you could install mDNS software in Windows to let you resolve the dynamic .local address.

By CaLviNx 9 February 2017 20:43

Member · 37 comments
tomasf wrote

Most routers let you bind a fixed IP address to a given MAC address. Perhaps your p.o.s. router can do that? Or you could install mDNS software in Windows to let you resolve the dynamic .local address.

It won't allow me to  bind to the Mac address. It really is that big a steaming pile of poop.

Third party  software might be an answer,  but that seems like a bodge to the engineer in me.

The real cure is either ability to assign a static ip to the WiFi module or a hardwired  connection,  this was the only issue that gave me hesitation when deciding  between the WiFi and the 0.8.5,  devil and the deep blue sea,  I wanted the higher resolution stepper drivers of the duetwifi but the Ethernet jack of the 0.8.5

By dc42 9 February 2017 21:17

Administrator · 1,867 comments

I have a major rewrite of the WiFi firmware pending, which will include the option of a static IP address. We also have the Duet Ethernet coming out soon, which will be a Duet WiFi board with an Ethernet adapter instead of WiFi.

Duet WiFi hardware designer and firmware engineer
http://www.escher3d.com
https://miscsolutions.wordpress.com

By DjDemonD 9 February 2017 22:10

Member · 319 comments

Yes its not perfect, but I installed a supplementary router in the room where I have my printers, its 5 feet from the machines, so they all get 5/5 signal and it assigns them each a static IP based on their MAC addresses, it cost £5. Ebay is your friend.

Seriously it will be good when the system progresses to being able to assign static ips and if a wired module becomes available then it would be a nice addition, but its an easy workaround for now.

By LeonMF 9 February 2017 22:54

Member · 36 comments

@CaLviNx

Can you navigate to it with http://duetwifi.local? That works on my network without having to assign a static IP.

Last edited by LeonMF (9 February 2017 22:55)

By elmoret 9 February 2017 22:57

Member · 133 comments

^ if your router supports mDNS the above should work.

By CaLviNx 10 February 2017 09:17

Member · 37 comments
LeonMF wrote

@CaLviNx

Can you navigate to it with http://duetwifi.local? That works on my network without having to assign a static IP.

elmoret wrote

^ if your router supports mDNS the above should work.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

I tried http://duetwifi.local address with NO success.

The router is a Huawei 4g with a custom firmware on it that is stripped down so far as to only allow internet connectivity nothing else, and Its a term and condition of service that I use their router, I have tried the sim card in another 4g router but the sim card is pin locked and the end user doesn't get a copy of it, I have asked, even to the point of hard resetting the router and asking for it to be fixed, in that event they send an engineer who does it, i think the company wants to control usage via hardware.

Im looking at Airfiber technology as an alternative.

I will just have to plod on with it until such time as a static IP is able to be assigned or the wired version becomes available.

By Dougal1957 10 February 2017 09:39

Member · 218 comments

Could you use a std router in front of the 4G device so that it would allow you to hard code some stuff or even have it on a separate network purely  to access the printer  I am assuming that the 4G Device is connected via WiFi you could then connect a router to your ethernet port on the Computer and have a separate network that way?

Just an idea

Doug

By DjDemonD 10 February 2017 09:44

Member · 319 comments

I recently bought a router for work, a TPlink which has a usb port on the back so you can plug in a 4g dongle, and use it to supply WAN connectivity but you can then configure everything else properly from its control panel. We have to use the providers router to get our internet at work to function, but I just connected that to the WAN port on this TPlink router and then I can configure everything the way I want it.

By CaLviNx 10 February 2017 10:55

Member · 37 comments

Is there any Ethernet modules that could be retrofitted to the footprint left by removing the ESP8266 ?

By CaLviNx 10 February 2017 11:13

Member · 37 comments
Dougal1957 wrote

Could you use a std router in front of the 4G device so that it would allow you to hard code some stuff or even have it on a separate network purely  to access the printer  I am assuming that the 4G Device is connected via WiFi you could then connect a router to your ethernet port on the Computer and have a separate network that way?

Just an idea

Doug

Well that's the thing.

I have the 4G Router on a pole inside a weatherproof box on my roof to get a decent incoming signal, no external antenna and I couldn't be arsed breaking it open to add an antenna jack, it was easier to put it in a box on a pole, so the WiFi signal it emits is pants, to combat this I ran Cat6 from the 4g router into a TP link WA511 access point that then repeats the WiFi signal inside the house, after lots of faffing I got the thing to work as a repeater.

Im a Mechanical Eng so not 100% great at messing about with networking.

I can log into the repeater (via Ethernet) but if I change anything away from the settings I used to get the internet up and running as a WiFi repeater, then that WiFi connectivity fails.

I have DDWRT on the repeater and that helped me get the TP link running as a repeater, with its standard firmware the huawei 4g router refused to talk to it at all. I think its all down to the stripped down nature of the custom written huawei firmware that is the root of all my issues.

And sorry to me this is all just faffing about wasting time on "work around after work around" for a problem that really shouldn't be there if I was able to assign a static ip or  be hardwired.

And again thanks for all the assistance and suggestions,  its greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CaLviNx (10 February 2017 11:17)

By Qdeathstar 11 February 2017 00:52

Member · 56 comments

The best way to set a static IP for the DUET is to modifiy your router to assign its MAC address a specific IP address.  What is the model of router you are using?

Last edited by Qdeathstar (11 February 2017 00:54)

By CaLviNx 11 February 2017 10:31

Member · 37 comments
Qdeathstar wrote

The best way to set a static IP for the DUET is to modifiy your router to assign its MAC address a specific IP address.  What is the model of router you are using?

Just a feeling but I'm guessing you haven't read the whole thread.......

By Qdeathstar 11 February 2017 23:47

Member · 56 comments

TL/DR What model router do you have? Just because you can't do something doesn't mean it cant be done.

Last edited by Qdeathstar (11 February 2017 23:48)

By dc42 12 February 2017 07:17

CaLviNx wrote

Is there any Ethernet modules that could be retrofitted to the footprint left by removing the ESP8266 ?

That's how the Duet Ethernet is constructed. But we are still waiting for the pre-production PCBs to arrive. So the only option at present involves stripboard and soldering.

By CaLviNx 12 February 2017 12:04

Member · 37 comments
dc42 wrote

That's how the Duet Ethernet is constructed. But we are still waiting for the pre-production PCBs to arrive. So the only option at present involves stripboard and soldering.

Thank you for the constructive input.

I was thinking about using a ENC28J60 Ethernet module if it's possible,  is there any firmware considerations seeing as the WiFi module keeps its own firmware onboard

Last edited by CaLviNx (12 February 2017 12:05)

By CaLviNx 12 February 2017 12:06

Member · 37 comments
Qdeathstar wrote

TL/DR What model router do you have? Just because you can't do something doesn't mean it cant be done.

Thank you for confirming my initial assertion

By lolorc 12 February 2017 12:30

Member · 48 comments

HI

It's not going to help much.
I initially tried to associate and connect my duet wifi to my old cisco aironet 1130 access point, it never worked while It was working with my android phone acting as an hotspot.
Luckily it was possible for me to upgrade the access point to a newer one (a 1140) and It worked straight away
Looks like the ESP8266 can be fussy.

Last edited by lolorc (12 February 2017 12:32)

By dc42 12 February 2017 13:07

CaLviNx wrote
dc42 wrote

Thank you for the constructive input.

I was thinking about using a ENC28J60 Ethernet module if it's possible,  is there any firmware considerations seeing as the WiFi module keeps its own firmware onboard

The prototype Duet Ethernet is using a Wiz850io module.

If you are certain that a static IP address would solve the problem, I could do you a special build of DuetWiFiServer with a fixed IP address, if you tell me which one.

By CaLviNx 12 February 2017 18:32

Member · 37 comments
dc42 wrote

If you are certain that a static IP address would solve the problem, I could do you a special build of DuetWiFiServer with a fixed IP address, if you tell me which one.

David as usual the assistance you provide is above and beyond the call of duty.   I couldn't expect you to do that. 

I will either try installing a Ethernet module myself or wait until the wired version of the board comes out (gives me an excuse to buy another board)

Also if the new technology for here (Cyprus)  called airfiber is viable l  can hopefully use off the shelf equipment  not tied to the service provider.

Last edited by CaLviNx (12 February 2017 18:33)

By Qdeathstar 12 February 2017 19:00

Member · 56 comments

Why dont you list the router you are using?

By deckingman 12 February 2017 19:46

Member · 593 comments
Qdeathstar wrote

He already has. Why don't you read the post?

By CaLviNx 13 February 2017 07:10

Member · 37 comments

Hi guys

I found a workaround or sorts.

I put secondary lan card I had laying around into my pc ran an Ethernet cable to a third router placed beside the printer.

Installed DDWRT on that router and managed to  bind the Mac address to a single ip address.

So In effect the duet is on its very own network.

All working but with the new board coming with on-board Ethernet it will be so much simpler in the future

Last edited by CaLviNx (13 February 2017 07:12)

By Qdeathstar 13 February 2017 17:09

Member · 56 comments
CaLviNx wrote
Qdeathstar wrote

Thank you for confirming my initial assertion

deckingman wrote
Qdeathstar wrote

He already has. Why don't you read the post?

Derp.

The router is a Huawei 4g with a custom firmware on it that is stripped down so far as to only allow internet connectivity nothing else

Uh....

Last edited by Qdeathstar (13 February 2017 17:10)